So a couple of weeks ago, Oprah released her list of Favorite Things. In honor of Shop Small Saturday, I’ve made my own list of favorite things small and local.
This is a list of my personal favorite local things and its in no particular order. Please feel free to leave a comment or post about your favorites and lets see if we can inspire each other to shop local this holiday season.
- Eco Gifts from Sustainable Wares. I love to buy closing gifts from this little shop. They have luxurious cutting boards, gorgeous linens, fluffy dog beds, clothing and all sorts of unique things to gift. My favorite things from here is little and well used: a glass water bottle and eco lunch boxes. There’s also an online store that will ship!
1103 Ocean Drive, Homer
- Flowers from Alaska Flower Mill. Want to wow someone with a bouquet of flowers? Center pieces, wreaths on your list? Call up the Flower Mill. Rachel’s bouquets are works of art.
- Crowlers from Grace Ridge Brewing. They’re not the big glass growlers we’re used to in Alaska. Instead they’re smaller and in cans. A few crowlers in one of their Nomar Brailer bags would make an excellent gift for the beer lover on your list.
3388 B St, Homer, AK 99603
- Chocolate Truffles from Homer Truffle Co. If you haven’t already tried these, they’re delicious. You’ll find them at the Emporium on Saturdays and and if I’m lucky, stashed in my desk drawer for an emergency chocolate fix.
- Just about anything from the Classic Cook. They have a huge selection of kitchen gear and oh how I love kitchen gear. The foodie on my list is getting a gift card for cooking classes. I still regret missing the sourdough class they had last month.
158 West Pioneer Ave.
- A clean Car! Ryan Affleck, owner of The Detail Guy will come to your house or business and clean out the inside of your car for a reasonable price. He’s not taking appointments over winter but come spring, when your car is good and muddy, a gift certificate would be greatly appreciated.
- Sword fighting lessons or self-defense classes at Kbay Martial Athletics. This is hands-down my best, most life-changing discovery this year. I signed up for morning conditioning classes where we get fit while learning boxing fundamentals and Kali (Filipino sword fighting). I’m stronger, faster and feel more confident of my self-defense skills after a year here. There are classes for kids, adults and people like me who are working on getting in shape, check it out!
- Pillows from the new OffShore Store. If you haven’t noticed, there’s a new gift shop across the street from the movie theater. It’s fantastic! Crisi, the owner, has commissioned these new wool pillows that feature the Homer Boardwalk. An unique Homer gift.
111 West Pioneer
- Lunch with a bestie. I have an agreement with my close friends. Instead of giving each other gifts, we commit to buying each other lunch in the new year. I love having lunch with a friend and getting caught up just the two of us. My favorite spots? Vida’s Thai (check out her amazing new space), the Bagel Shop and La Baleine when it’s open.
- Purses and socks from Homer Saw and Cycle. I think the older you get, the more you appreciate socks as a gift. I’m not a shoe person, I’m a bag lady! Ha! I like a good purse that handles the rough and tumble life I live.
1532 Ocean Drive
- Books from the Homer Bookstore. Oh how I love the Homer Bookstore. We’re so lucky to have it in our little town. I like to give the book put out by the Homer garden club as closing gifts to my green-thumb clients. I also love pressing their shelves for a good read – that makes me happy.
332 East Pioneer